We're Now On Instagram!

Instagram

Wednesday

ABOUT US: How we came about Customizing Peel and Stick Wall Art?

About a year ago, I planned on refreshing my room with a new coat of paint.  I was tired of the old falling wallpapers and needed a change.  I became excited on decorating my room, surely a new challenge, having never been involved nor been interested in interior design at all in the past.  But I was determined.

I started with a simple free software that I downloaded that help me layout my room. I wanted to do a makeover without spending a lot.  This was the next best thing to hiring an interior designer or one of those professional designers we see in Lifestyle Channel.  Basically, I wanted to use my existing furnitures but at the same time, give my room a different look.

The only people I had to hire was a painter to handle the hard job of scraping off the 20 yr old wallpapers, priming the walls, prepping them and finally painting them.  I did the research on what each color mean with each room and how they influence the mood of the people in it.  I chose a Green Tea color for my room which helps me relax, and Popsicle Orange for my home office which livens me up.  

After putting all the furniture in, I had to decorate my walls.  I chose my favorite frames, and set aside the older and outdated ones.  The ones that got retained were the framed cross stitch works of Precious Moments and Goebel's Hummel, which my mom had made herself; plus some framed puzzles which I myself completed.  I also printed some of the favorite photos that I had taken, to display in my home office.


Looking for more ideas to fill my walls without spending a whole lot, I began my research in the internet.  And I stumbled into several US sites which sold Wall Art Stickers, sometimes also referred to as Wallies or Wall Graphics or Wall Decals.  I was ecstatic and loved the idea.  I especially loved the unique and contemporary designs I saw, but I still found it too expensive.  A small saying costs $25 and a large wall art design would range from $35 to even $75 or even more.  Not exactly the money I want to spend.

I began to search for local sites like Multiply to see if I could find some here.  I did find only a handful of them, mostly kiddie designs and I hard a difficult time finding one that fits my room.  The prices were much more affordable, so it would have been perfect.  I got disappointed as each search of something that would fit my room ended up being sold only in the US.

With the limited choices, I managed to pick two of them from a local Multiply seller but later got disappointed with the quality.  For one, one had a glossy finish which made the design unclear especially when your room lights are turned on.  The effect on the design was disappointing.  I learned that these were from Korea or China.

Two months later, I was able to take a trip to the US on my way back from South America, and in one of our shopping nights with my friend, I was able to find a small Wall Words kit, and it was 75% off.  So I got myself one.  When I applied it back home, I was also able to compare the quality with the ones I got.  Mine were matte finish, which made it look like paint.  So it was more natural when applied to the walls.  My cousin also gave me one on my birthday which was also a nice matte finish, but the seller for this also had limited designs.

Because of my frustration, I researched more and learned that I could easily do these myself.  Most of the existing providers were US-based.  It took a lot of research and patience.  What seemed to be an easy concept was actually backed by a process that is quite intricate.  Through the internet, I found a lot of answers but logistically, I didn't have easy and economical access to the same things that the US merchants had.  And I know that I had to look for a local alternative for me to be successful.

Locally, I didn't find a lot of providers. Additionally, I didn't know anything about printing or design.  But I ventured into what were the closest industry that I could think of:  print advertising and personalized printing such as T-shirt printing.

But persistence paved the way, and finally, I was able to piece through puzzle pieces that now appear as a clear image.  Given this, I talked to my partners, who also enjoys doing customized work, and we decided to set up a service with this so that we can offer fellow local afficionados the creative world of Customized Peel and Stick Art.

I wanted to focus on high quality and exclusive/limited release designs, which are also affordable.  I believe in doing it right and giving the best!



No comments:

Post a Comment